Health def. The state of being well in body or mind.
Wellness def. A state of being well or in good health.
There are many definitions of health and wellness, those defined by the National Wellness Institute seem the most agreeable with the mission of AD4L:
Wellness is an active process through which people become aware of, and make choices toward, a more successful existence.
Wellness is a conscious, self-directed and evolving process of achieving full potential.
Wellness is multi-dimensional and holistic, encompassing lifestyle, mental and spiritual well-being, and the environment.
Wellness is positive and affirming.
Health and wellness, used interchangeably, refer to the dynamic, ever-changing process of trying to achieve one’s individual potential within the interrelated dimensions of health. The dimensions of health as defined by the National Wellness Institute include:
- PHYSICAL health – the physical aspects of health such as body size and shape, sensory acuity, susceptibility to disease and conditions, body functioning, and ability to recuperate.
- SOCIAL health – the relationship aspects of health such as interpersonal relationship, ability to interact with others and adapt to social situations and behaviours.
- INTELLECTUAL health – the cognitive, thinking, aspects of health such as our ability to learn and grow from experience, intellectual capability, and decision making.
- EMOTIONAL health – the feeling components of health such as ability to express emotion appropriately and control in appropriate expressions, feelings of self-esteem, self-confidence, self-efficacy, trust, love, and other emotional reactions and responses.
- SPIRITUAL health- can involve a belief in a higher power/being or be a specific way of living according to a religion. Spiritual health includes the interconnectedness of ourselves and our environment and a guiding sense of meaning or value in life.
- OCCUPATIONAL health- related to one’s attitude about one’s work. This dimension recognized the personal satisfaction and enrichment that one may or may not find through one’s work.